May 30, 2007
Dear SatLabs Subscriber,
The past few months have seen intense activity for the SatLabs Group.
An important milestone was reached, with the publication of Version 2 of SatLabs System Recommendations. These will enable a leap forward in terms of DVB-RCS interoperability, thereby allowing:
- Reduced operations costs through standardised management procedures and MIB based on SNMP
- Improved application performance and Quality of Service, based on IP DiffServ recommendations
- Improved transport layer performance through TCP acceleration and HTTP content pre-fetching support
- Improved satellite capacity usage through DVB-S2 support
After reaching this milestone the SatLabsGroup initiated two new activities showing the commitment of manufacturers towards enhanced interoperability and a more diverse choice for network operators:
- Independent testing of DVB-RCS Hubs will be provided. This will allow hub manufacturers to advertise their support for SatLabs compliant terminals and network operators to invest with more confidence in interoperable products. This Hub testing capability will be available by the end of this year.
- SatLabs will organise an interoperability event by the end of 2007. This will demonstrate enhanced interoperability between different DVB-RCS implementations, Hubs and Terminals, based on the Version 2 of SatLabs System Recommendations.
All these activities will reinforce the position of DVB-RCS as the only multi-vendor VSAT standard, with true interoperability including DVB-S2, Quality of Service and Network Management.
Your SatLabs Team
The SatLabs Group is an international, not-for-profit association whose members are committed to bringing the deployment of the DVB-RCS standard to large-scale adoption. SatLabs membership is formed by service providers, satellite operators, system integrators, terminal manufacturers and technology providers with an interest in DVB-RCS.